Short Bio Community Partners


My name is Sophia Gillmer, and I am a sophomore at the University of Washington. Currently my major is Geography, but on paper it says American Ethnic studies. Both of these majors interest me because they give me the opportunity to learn about the history of different minority groups, and learn why people live where they live, and how their location affects the way they are treated in society. After college I hope to go to law school and become a civil rights lawyer to represent minority groups that are ignored in our country. Coming to college and learning for the first time about how minority groups have been silenced has been eye opening but also difficult because I realized most people will never learn about these injustices. While my parents have always helped me in these sticky situations, many people do not have that luxury, and I want to learn tools to speak up for minority groups who have been silenced.  My other interests include how black women have been erased from history, and how biracial children understand and express their identity.

Comments

Popular Posts